Although many people may not have heard of LAN parties they have been around for quite some time. For those that have never heard of LAN gaming we will give a quick definition before we get into our list of games. LAN gaming is where two or more people connect their computers, generally laptops, to a local area network so they can play multi-player video games together.
The reason that you see so many people asking for a list of good LAN games is the problems that always seem to arise at a LAN party. When it comes to LAN gaming everyone has a different computer with different hardware and software. Some will have a newer computer while others have an older computer. For this reason it can be difficult to find a game, or games, that can be played by many people, with different computers, and different skill levels. Below is my list of great games for LAN parties, as always with lists of this type i am sure some people will disagree with my choices.
1. At the top of my list of best LAN games is any of the COD franchise. There are several reasons that i have chosen this game. First these are fun games to play with great graphics. Next, most people have played one or more of these iconic war games so there is not a huge learning curve for most players. Also there are many maps, weapons, games modes, and up to 32 people can play together. Another plus is that people that have their own copy of the game can join in the fun from off-site.
2. The next game on the list is Team Fortress 2. This game is fun to play. The only real downside is that everyone must download the game onto their individual computer and no one can join from off-site.
3. In the third position is Freelancer. One of the main reasons that i have chosen this game is that it has some of the best graphics and 32 people can play the game. It also has co-op and versus modes, any computer can handle the game and it is simple to learn. The only problem is that when large groups are playing it can become difficult to stay alive. When you die you are taken back to the start of the game, this can get boring after awhile.
4. Battlefield 2 is my next choice because it has huge maps, tons of vehicles and player kits, and it has good graphics. It is a fun game that can be played in co-op mode against bots or in versus mode. The number one advantage of this game is that up to 64 people can join into the carnage. The drawbacks are that older computers will not be able to handle the game due to the system requirements and it takes a long time to install the game.
5. The last of my best games is Dungeon Siege. This is a great game and is fun to play. It is easy to learn, the controls are mostly just point and click. It has good graphics with lots of different areas to explore. The system requirements are low so most machines should be able to handle this game.